Claims Technical Specialist - Construction Defect
Investigate, negotiate and conclude by settlement or denial complex and challenging CONSTRUCTION DEFECT claims. The individual in this position will also ensure claims are processed within company policies, procedures, and individual's prescribed authority with exceptional standards of performance. All job duties and responsibilities must be carried out in compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Investigate construction defect claims through telephone, written correspondence, and/or personal contact with claimants, attorneys, insureds, witnesses and others having pertinent information.
- Analyze information in order to evaluate assigned claims to determine coverage and the extent of loss, taking into consideration time on risk, risk transfer, additional insured and contractual indemnity obligations. Draft reservation of rights and disclaimer letters assign counsel and experts to case and arrange for site inspections when necessary.
- Process incoming calls and correspondence from insureds, claimants and agents regarding questions or problems associated with claims. Interact with underwriters and agents on claim resolution.
- Evaluate, negotiate and settle both non-litigated and litigated claims within delegated authority. Handle litigation files from start to finish.
- Update MCS on a continual basis to accurately reflect status of each assigned.
- Receive, review, approve and pay expenses incurred to investigate, process, and handle a claim, including legal bills.
- Prepare check requisitions for all loss and expense payments.
- Explore risk transfer, salvage and subrogation potential on all claims. Prepare for and participate in claims review and settlement conferences.
- Close claim by issuing check or denial and securing appropriate releases.
- Must be able to drive an automobile or fly to travel for mediations and trials. Car and air travel represent approximately 20% of employee’s time.
- Must be able to handle litigation files from start to finish.
- Must have valid state-issued driver’s license in good standing and be able to drive an automobile.
- College degree strongly preferred.
- Prefer 5-10 years construction defect claims experience.
JOB NOTES FROM HIRING MANAGER:
Location Atlanta GA, needs to drive to Charleston SC 1-2 times per month
Other: Claims are all over but mainly in the SE